The monks of the Morimond Abbey, in the early XIIth century, built this famous abbey reknown for its sobriety and the perfection of its architecture. Its name comes from its surroundings, swamps and canes forest (silva/cana). Guillaume de la Roque gives some land and some landlords make donations. Bertrand des Baux begins building the church in 1175.During this century, the abbey have a a great spiritual and economic growth and founds the sister abbey of Valsainte, close to Apt. Its decline begins late in the XIIIth century (conflict with Montmajour abbey, natural catastrophes, 100 years war...). During the french revolution, it becomes a farm. The french state buys the church in 1845 to refurbish it. In 1945, the state buys the whole abbey and declares it a historical monument.
The Abbey is attached to the city of La Roque d'Anthéron since January 1st 2008.
The Abbey is a member of the European Chart for Cistercian Abbeys and Sites, 150 members in 10 Countries, All owners have their sites opened to public, in a spirit of cultural quality.